Make Noise0-CTRL Desktop Touch Keyboard / Sequencer
- No Hassle
Make Noise 0-CTRL
Make Noise's 0-CTRL is a standalone touch controller and sequencer designed to make a perfect companion to their 0-Coast semi-modular synthesizer. Clearly a new extension of principles laid out in their own Pressure Points and Brains, the 0-CTRL is the newest controller following of the legacy of Buchla's early capacitive touch plate controllers and Serge's classic TKB keyboard/sequencer. Offering hands-on control for desktop semi-modular synths and Eurorack signal compatibility, the 0-CTRL is an exciting step from Make Noise further into the realm of standalone device design.
The 0-CTRL can act as a tunable touch plate keyboard and/or as a sequencer. Like the Pressure Points/Brains combo, it features dedicated master outputs for each of its three rows of tunable knobs, a master pressure output, touch gate output, master gate output, and individual gate outputs per step. It maintains reset, stop/start, and sequence direction gate inputs, but also adds a host of new features.
The most obvious addition? The 0-CTRL has its own internal voltage-controllable clock generator. This means the 0-CTRL can act as its own standalone sequencing device, without the need for an external clock to drive it. The bottom row of tunable knobs is normalled to the Time CV input, making it easy to create sequences with different durations for every stage.
0-CTRL also adds its own interesting internal envelope generator and variable gate generator. The second row of knobs is normalled to a parameter called "strength," which varies the amplitude of a specific gate output and decay-only envelope generator. And while variable gates are uncommon, they can be used with the 0-Coast's Contour circuit or even with VCAs or LPGs directly in order to create dynamic changes in signal levels. The decay-only dynamic envelope is great for opening LPGs, VCAs, or the 0-Coast's Dynamics circuit, creating variable pings for dynamic plucked sounds. The shape of this envelope corresponds to the "strength" and "time" controls, keeping your envelopes dynamically evolving as the sequence continues. The internal clock can be enabled or disabled, and touch plates can be set to interrupt or not interrupt the sequence as they are touched.
The 0-CTRL is an amazing choice for a standalone CV controller. It's completely analog, making it easy to see at a moment's notice what it is doing. It features clever internal normalled connections that allow for easy control of a host of parameters for the creation of uncommonly dynamic, flexible, and even wonky sequences—so whether you're trying to make straightforward, beat-centric music or soundscapes that embrace unpredictability, the 0-CTRL might be perfect for you. Pair with an 0-Coast for a modern take on the Buchla Music Easel, or add to any semi-modular or modular synth to add a new edge of hands-on control. In any of these situations, the 0-CTRL is an ideal way to add more interaction into your own pieces and performances.
- Desktop touch controller/sequencer perfect for use with desktop semi-modular synths, such as Make Noise's own 0-Coast
- Produces Eurorack-compatible signal levels, making it a great addition to any modular rig
- Three tunable CV outputs per touch plate/sequencer stage
- Internal clock generator
- Gate outputs per step
- Internal variable gate and envelope generator for dynamic articulation control
- Dedicated outputs for touch gate and finger pressure
- Normalled connections from bottom sequencer rows to clock rate and gate/envelope "strength"
- Gate control of sequence direction, reset, stop/start
- Dedicated touch plates for activating/deactivating internal gate, toggling sequence interrupt behavior on keys, and sequence direction
- External clock input for syncing to external devices
- Includes patch cables to get you started!
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 9 x 0.75"
- Weight: 1.7lbs
- Power: 15VDC on 2.1mm center positive PSU (included)
The 0-CTRL is an 8 step sequencer with 3 rows of CV outputs, one row is normalized to a CV output so that you could control the pitch or another parameter of you synthesizer. The second row is normalized to a dynamic gate generator which can output gates of varying voltage levels for more dynamic sequences, there is also a built in envelope generator which we are using here instead of the envelopes in the Moog system. The third row is normalized to the time control of the sequencer clock so that you can create sequences where each step varies in time. The 0-CTRL is not just a sequencer but also a touch keyboard with pressure CV out similar to Pressure Points.
- Fully analog and patch programmable, no menus or modes, what you patch is what you get!
- Sequence and Control the Pitch, Strength, and Time of your synthesizer voice, per step
- Voltage control over Stop and Direction
- Dynamic Reset, select Reset Step while sequencing
- Pressure and Touch Gate outputs for human generated events and expression
- Dynamic Envelope and Gate outputs allow for voice loudness/ strength per note
- Gate output per step for patch programming sequence behavior and triggering unique events per step
- Synchronize the 0-CTRL via the Clock In, or clock other machines with the Clock and/ or Gate Outs
- Sequence your synthesizer and play it by hand simultaneously with Sequence Interrupt
- Pairs well with the 0-Coast, Tape & Microsound Music Machine, or anything having CV Inputs