ArturiaKeyStep 37 MIDI Controller + Step Sequencer
- No Hassle
- Low Prices
Arturia KeyStep 37
Rounding out the lineup of Arturia's compact keyboard controllers with convenient connections and clever sequencing, the KeyStep 37 expands on the capabilities of its predecessors while still closely maintaining the small form factor of the original. On the surface, the KeyStep 37 would just look like the original KeyStep with five extra keys and a BPM display, but Arturia has gone the extra mile to add in some cool new features and provide some quality of life enhancements.
Perhaps the biggest functionality added to the KeyStep 37 is the enhanced Chord mode. Twelve different chord types are available at the press of a single key, making it easy to construct harmonic progressions on the fly. Where things get interesting is the incorporation of a strumming mechanic, that at its most basic level functions like a one-shot arpeggiator, but the flexibility of specifying note spacing, timing between notes, and velocity sensitivity through the strum allow the quick development of complex yet organic compositions. Any instrument suddenly becomes dynamic and controllable in the same way as stringed instruments like a guitar or harp. KeyStep 37 also features a handy scale mode, which quantizes played notes to the nearest note in a specified scale or key, minimizing accidentals when undesirable and keeping the music flowing.
While KeyStep 37 bears the most resemblance to the original, some ideas introduced on the KeyStep Pro have carried over to this model. Namely, a row of handy RGB LEDs live above the keys that signify notes being played back from sequences and arpeggiations. Similarly to the KeyStep Pro, the KeyStep 37 also features four encoders which may be mapped to four banks of MIDI CCs, meaning that 16 parameters are available within quick reach.
Like the other members of its family, the KeyStep 37 provides plenty of connectivity options for use with nearly any combination of hardware and software. KeyStep 37 is small but mighty, packing in more features and flexibility than many controllers costing several times its price.
KeyStep 37 Features
- 37 note slim keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- 64-step sequencer with up to 8 notes per step
- 8 available patterns for the sequencer
- Sequences may be entered manually or recorded live with overdub or overwrite functionality
- Chord mode stores 12 different voicings, including a user assignable chord
- Strum mode offers velocity, note spacing, and note duration controls
- Scale mode quantizes the keyboard to specified scale
- 5 scale options available, including a user assignable scale
- BPM display
- 4 encoders offer 4 banks of MIDI CC controllers
- Connects with instruments over USB MIDI, 5-pin MIDI, 3.5mm analog clock I/O, and pitch, gate, and modulation CV output
- Touch-based pitch and mod wheels
- Includes Ableton Live Lite
- Powered by USB connection or optional 12VDC PSU (not included)
- Dimensions: 21.7 x 5.79 x 1.38"
- Weight: 3.97 lbs.