SequentialProphet 6 Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer Desktop Module
- No Hassle
- Low Prices
Sequential Prophet 6 Desktop
The Prophet 6 desktop module is just as powerful and expressive as its keyboard-toting sibling. In many ways, it offers even more possibilities in a modular context: its front panel controls offer the same immediacy and ease-of-use, but one is free to add the keyboard of their choice.
The Prophet 6 utilizes the best features of the Prophet 5 as a point of departure to bring synthesists something much more than a revised classic. The synthesizer’s redesigned all-analog core and advanced digital effects serve to make it both functional and flexible in for both the studio and the stage while maintaining the Prophet’s coveted warmth and punchiness.
Part of what makes the Prophet 6 great are its dual analog VCOs per voice, each complete with a triangle core sub oscillator for a total of 12 VCOs. Each VCO has a continuously variable waveshape, while each voice features 2 discreet four-pole filters inspired by the Prophet 5. When combined with the unit’s enhanced Poly-Mod section, an upgraded version of the Prophet 5’s with some ingenious enhancements, the Prophet 6’s capabilities as a modulation powerhouse become clear.
The module’s digital effect section features several staple 24-bit, 48kHz resolution stereo effects (delays, reverbs, chorus, and a phase shifter). For those craving something without any digital character, the effects section can also be bypassed to exploit the Prophet 6’s all-analog signal path to the fullest extent. And if you’re craving analog effects, there’s the possibility of routing the signal through the Prophet 6’s 100% analog stereo distortion.
The desktop module also contains the same sequencer and arpeggiator as the keyboard version. The sequencer is 64 steps with 6 notes per step, while the arpeggiator contains several user-adjustable modes such as up, down, and random. Like the keyboard version, both the sequencer and arpeggiator can be synced to an external MIDI clock for added convenience. Additionally, while the Prophet 6 is monotimbral, its effective pitch transposition feature makes it easy to keep things interesting.
Prophet 6 Features
- Two newly designed discrete VCO's per voice
- Continuously variable waveshape from Triangle, Sawtooth to Pulse, per oscillator
- Oscillator slop amount for increased tuning instability, from subtle to extreme
- Mixer with volume controls for Osc 1, a sub octave for Osc 1, Osc 2 and a white noise source
- Two-pole, resonant high-pass filter per voice with velocity modulation and keyboard tracking
- Four-pole, resonant low pass filter per voice with self-oscillating resonance and keyboard tracking
- Four stage ADSR envelope generator for both the Filter and Amplifier
- Amplifier envelope has velocity sensitivity
- Low Frequency Oscillator with five wave shapes, tri, saw, reverse saw (ramp), square and a random sample % hold.
- Arpeggiator with selectable note length value with up, down, up/down, random and assign arp modes.
- Polyphonic sequencer with up to 64 steps and rests
- Stereo Analog distortion, Dual 24-bit, 48 kHz digital effects including Reverb, Delay, Chorus and Phase Shifter
- Patch Memory: 500 user and 500 factory programs in 10 banks of 100 programs each.
- Left and Right audio outputs (2 x 1/4"" jacks)
- Headphone output (Stereo, 1/4"" jack)
- MIDI in, out and thru ports
- USB for bidirectional MIDI communication
- Pow-pass filter cutoff expression pedal
- Power: IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
- Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 30 watts maximum power consumption
- Dimensions: 21.25” L x 7.43” W x 4.4″ H (54.0 cm x 18.9 cm x 11.2 cm)
Vintage with a Modern Twist
The Prophet-6 is Dave Smith's tribute to the poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But it’s not simply a reissue of a classic. Rather, as Dave puts it, “It’s the result of our effort to build the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible.” The Prophet-6 takes the best qualities of the original Prophet-5—true voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers—and adds enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. The result is pure, unadulterated analog tone with the stability and reliability of a state-of-the-art modern synth.
Classic Tone, Classic Vibe
Central to the warm, punchy sound of the Prophet-6 are its two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice. Continuously variable waveshapes provide the tonal palette with triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse waves. There are two discrete filters per voice—a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter, and a two-pole, resonant, high-pass filter. Voltage-controlled amplifiers complete the all-analog signal path.
The dual effects section provides studio-quality reverbs, delays (standard and BBD), chorus and phase shifter. While the effects themselves are digital, with 24-bit, 48 kHz resolution, a true bypass maintains a full analog signal path. There's also an independent stereo distortion effect, which is 100% analog.
Poly Mod and Poly Step Sequencing
Also present from its classic predecessor is a Poly Mod section, with enhancements. True to the original, modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2 (both with bi-polar control). Destinations include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, low-pass filter cutoff, and high-pass filter cutoff. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which features configurable voice count (1-6 voices) and key modes. The polyphonic step sequencer allows up to 64 steps and up to 6 notes per step. You can create sequences polyphonically, with rests and sync to an external MIDI clock. The full-featured arpeggiator can be synced to external MIDI clock as well.
Easy to Program
The knob-per-function front panel offers instant access to virtually all Prophet-6 functions. Included are 500 permanent factory programs in 10 banks of 100 programs. In addition to these, you can create and save up to 500 user programs of your own. Toggling off the Preset button enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the Prophet-6 switches to the current settings of its knobs and switches. In this state, what you see is what you hear.
Easy to Play
All of this awe-inspiring sound is packed into a four octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and channel aftertouch that's an ideal combination portability and power for the project studio or the gigging musician.