OberheimOB-X8 Bi-Timbral Analog Polysynth
- No Hassle
Reviving and reinventing the classic sounds of 80s synth basses, leads, and pads comes Oberheim's OB-X8, a combination of the legendary OB-X, OB-Xa, and OB-8 all packed into one eight-voice polysynth. The legacy behind the OB-X8 can be immediately heard through any of the factory presets—it contains the factory sounds from all of the original models, with new ones added to reflect its versatility and newly-found design. What's more, it's bi-timbral—meaning that you can split and layer two programs to create sonic interplay and huge, otherworldly sounds.
The OB-X8 is made up of the classic SEM/OB-X-like discrete oscillators sporting immediate access to saw, pulse, and triangle wave shapes with cross modulation, pulse width control, and even hard sync for those shredding leads and basses. The oscillators and noise generator are routed and mixed into a multi-mode filter. In a nod to the OB-X, the filter section includes Oberheim's discrete SEM-style filter, complete with lowpass as well as highpass, bandpass, and notch types. Additionally, there's a Curtis filter on board, covering the unique sound of the OB-Xa and OB-8. The sound of sweeping frequencies with loads of resonance can evoke chirping and squelching sounds unlike any other thanks to these filters' unique design.
Modulation is no stranger to the OB-X8 as it recreates and finesses the style of envelope generators found in its predecessors, down to the exact curvature and timing ranges. Onboard Envelopes and LFOs are immediately accessible. The LFOs can be routed to the oscillators, filters, amplitude, or even pulse width modulation! Other forms of control and shaping take place on the left side of the OB-X8, featuring Oberheim's iconic performance levers for pitch bending and additional modulation, as well as a full-featured arpeggiator for creating additional harmonic movement..
You can easily create heavy and thick unison patches that spread up to all eight voices across the stereo space. And, courtesy of Sequential, the Vintage knob allows for more subtle variances to be imparted into the sound on a voice-by-voice basis...creating beahvior reminiscent of the quirks and pleasant inconsistencies heard in legacy instruments. Performance mechanics include portamento for gliding between notes, velocity and aftertouch sensitivity for dramatic filter and volume control, and the aforementioned classic mod and pitch levers.
The arpeggiator and chord features offer loads of performance tricks and tools for introducing automated and time-synced melodic and harmonic movement throughout your patches. Easily create chord and arp shapes by picking notes, setting how it responds to the notes you play, and apply hold functionality for more opportunities to tweak the patch in real-time. OB-X8's 61-key Fatar keybed has access to octave and semitone transposition for a larger range of playability as well as bi-timbral performability, making it possible to layer or split two patches across the keyboard. Save over 600 user-designable presets onboard and dive deep for all the flavorful and powerful possibilities with the OB-X8.
- Eight-voice analog polysynth
- Based on a combination of three classic '80s Oberheim synths: OB-8, OB-X, and OB-Xa (includes original presets)
- Two discrete SEM/OB-X-lineage VCOs per voice sine, saw, square, triangle, and noise with variable levels per oscillator
- Enhanced unison for stacking up to all eight voices
- Discrete SEM-lineage filters for OB-X tones with added SEM high-pass, band-pass, and notch filter types to classic low pass filter
- Highly modeled and refined envelope responses for matching each model
- Variable triangle wave cross-mod
- Bi-Timbrality for splits and layered patches
- Per-voice panning programmability for unique stereo width
- 400+ factory presets with 600+ user-programmable preset locations
- Pitch bend and modulation levers in the classic Oberheim style
- Velocity sensitive 61-key Fatar keyboard with channel aftertouch
- Walnut end cheeks
- Fanless and heatsink-free PSU
- Input: 1x TRS 1/4" balanced
- Outputs: 3x TRS 1/4" balanced (mono, left, right)
- Pedal inputs: 2x TRS 1/4"
- Clock input: 1x TS 1/4"
- MIDI I/O: 3x 5-pin DIN (in/out/thru), 1x USB type-B
- Dimensions: 46" x 22.25" x 10.5"
- Weight: 32.5 lbs
- Power: 100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz