MoogMinimoog Model D Analog Keyboard Synthesizer (2022 Edition)
- No Hassle
Moog Minimoog Model D (2022 Edition)
The synthesizer that started it all is back and better than ever—the iconic Minimoog Model D is in production once again, and Moog included a few new additions on top of the original analog circuitry. The Model D's influence cannot be understated—it's still the blueprint that many synth designers look to for inspiration, whether in sound, signal flow, functionality, or format. And of course, its rich sound has graced countless recordings for over 50 years, and it continues to be the instrument that most people think of when you say the word "synthesizer."
When the Model D first rolled out in 1970, it represented a consolidation of the expansive Moog modular systems into a compact and portable package. Rather than offering an intimidating web of patch cables and knobs to navigate, the Minimoog's fixed architecture made it so much easier to instantly craft musical and satisfying sounds—with enough room to make things weird if you wanted to. But with its segmented panel layout, clear labeling, and smart parameterization, the Minimoog Model D remains approachable even if you've never touched a synthesizer before!
The 2022 edition of the Minimoog Model D maintains the exact choice and placement of circuit components as the original version from the 1970s, with a couple of new tricks and conveniences built-in for modern players. Physically speaking, the wooden cabinet is built from Appalachian cherry, locally sourced from near Moog's factory in Asheville, North Carolina, and is complemented with a hand-finished aluminum chassis housing the core circuitry. But from there, you'll find the same powerful three-oscillator configuration, iconic lowpass ladder filter with plenty of resonance, and crunchy mixer section that isn't afraid to offer overdrive and coloration for a thicker sound.
But along with the elements that give the Model D its sound, the control and shaping components are equally important in completing the Minimoog experience. Filter and amplitude envelopes offer independent contours over timbre and volume, allowing for dramatic swells and prominent plucks. On the original Model D, it was possible to decouple oscillator 3 from the keyboard and use it as an LFO to modulate the filter. But on this version, a dedicated analog LFO was added next to the pitch and mod wheels—pull the knob up or down to select between triangle or square waveforms, and dial the rate accordingly. Speaking of the pitch wheel, it now features a spring-loaded design to automatically return to the center position, allowing for more freedom in those wild lead lines.
Rounding out the enhancements on the 2022 Minimoog, you'll find MIDI ports, a luxurious Fatar keybed with velocity and aftertouch, an internal mixer feedback modification for more easily achieved overdrive, and several additional CV I/O jacks to more easily incorporate external instruments and devices in your studio. The 2022 edition of the Minimoog Model D is perhaps the definitive version of this legendary instrument, packing in the same iconic sound but with all the advantages of modern synthesizers included.
Minimoog Model D (2022 Edition) Features
- An authentic modern issue of the iconic Minimoog Model D analog synthesizer
- Fully analog signal path using exact component choice and placement of the original from 1970
- Locally-sourced Appalachian cherry wooden cabinet
- Hand-finished aluminum chassis
- Three analog VCOs with eight selectable waveforms: triangle, tri/saw blend (osc 1 and 2), reverse saw (osc 3), sawtooth, square, wide rectangle, narrow rectangle
- Oscillator 1 follows global Tune control and keyboard input
- Range switches for all oscillators and fine-tune controls for oscillators 2 and 3
- Keyboard control bypass switch for oscillator 3
- White and pink noise generator
- Mixer with external audio input
- Internal feedback mod allows for quick and heavy overdrive
- Iconic lowpass ladder filter with resonance
- Filter and Loudness envelope generators
- Additional LFO with triangle and square waveforms
- Modulation controller section blends and selects between Oscillator 3, Filter envelope, Noise generator, and LFO control sources
- 44-note Fatar keybed
- Spring-loaded pitch-bend wheel—first ever used on a factory Minimoog!
- Main and headphone outputs
- A-440 test tone for tuning and signal testing
- External control inputs: Loudness, Filter, Oscillator, Modulation Source, and external V-Trig input
- External audio input
- Low and high-level audio outputs
- Control outputs: Aftertouch, Pitch, V-Trig Gate, and Velocity
- 5-pin MIDI In, Thru, and Out ports
- Power Supply: External Universal PSU
- Weight: 32lbs / 14.52 kg
- Shipping Weight: 44.7lbs / 20.28 kg
- Dims: 5.63” H x 28.63” W x 17.25”D / 14.29 cm H x 72.71 cm W x 43.82 cm D
The Minimoog Model D 2022 Edition is a faithful recreation of the 1970 original with minor functional modifications and an unaltered, raw analog signal path.