4MSSpectral Multiband Resonator
- No Hassle
4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator
The 4MS Spectral Multiband Resonant Filter is a revolutionary resonance filter with more than couple tricks up its sleeve. The module can process audio along the lines of a classical resonant filter, produce marimba-style ringing sounds when pinged by a trigger, vocode, quantize audio to strict scales, and much more.
On the surface, the module is essentially a six-band graphic EQ, as it provides six band-pass filters that are mixed using dedicated sliders. The width of each band is determined by the module’s Q input, which is also CV’able. Additionally, the frequency of each channel functions more like an individual note, making all six bands into a single chord. Manipulating the Rotate knob, whether manually or with CV, rotates the notes produced. Additional features include the spread parameter, which governs the intervals between the notes, and additional inputs for up/down motions, and a morphing function that crossfades between the frequencies.
Spectral Multiband Resonator Features
- Six filter channels, selected from twenty active filters displayed on the light ring
- Variable "Q" (Resonance) ranges from classic band-pass to ultra-resonant ringing
- Ring of 20 full-color lights displays the filter frequencies
- Filter frequencies move about the scale using Rotation and Spread
- Rotation "spins" the frequencies around the scale
- Spread controls the gap between neighboring bands
- Morph creates a variable speed cross-fade when the filter frequencies change
- Lock buttons prevent each channel from changing in frequency (resonance can also be locked)
- Freq Nudge knobs for creating de-tuning effects, or honing in on an exact frequency
- Frequency CV input (1V/octave) for even and odd bands (flip switch selects single or multiple channel control)
- Stereo ins and outs stagger the bands into evens/odds for an immersive stereo field
- Spectral content outputs for each channel (Env Out) allow for vocoding (spectral transfer)
- Fast or Slow tracking speeds for Envelope CV ouptuts, or selectable Trigger output mode is useful for extracting a beat from music
- Sliders and CV jacks control each filter's level
- Slew switch applies slew-limiting to the CV level jacks, which prevents clicking from clocks or triggers
- Each bank has 11 scales of 20 frequencies/notes each.
- User-programmable scales (select octave, chromatic note, and microtonal adjustments for each note in the scale)
- Scale banks for Western, Indian, Chromatic, Micro-tonal, Equal tempered, Just intonation tunings
- Rotation/Spread moves about an entire bank, or can be limited to a single scale
- White noise is normalized to the inputs, so the SMR can be used without an external signal
- Program your own scale. The frequency of each of the 20 notes can be assigned by setting the octave, the semi-tone, and coarse and fine micro-tone. Up to 11 scales can be saved permanently in the user bank
- Adjust color scheme of the LEDs. Pick a pre-programmed color scheme or create your own using the sliders to set Red/Green/Blue values. Custom color schemes can be saved permanently
- Save your settings in one of six parameter banks. Note position, scale and bank selection, Q value, Lock settings and color scheme can be saved and recalled on the fly. On startup, the SMR loads settings from the last saved bank.
- Optional alternative filter type for a more exponential decay when plucked and different timbral qualities. Freq jacks no longer track 1V/oct in this mode.
- Slider LEDs can be assigned to display level for each channel (combination of slider position and CV on the jack), or clipping for each channel.
- Eurorack Module
- Width: 26HP
- Depth: .95"
- Current Draw: 86mA @ +12V; 28mA @ -12V; 25mA @ +5V