Rupert Neve Designs Portico II Channel Strip
The Rupert Neve Designs Portico II Channel Strip combines RNHV2 op-amps and transformers with newer features like a multi-variable EQ/de-esser, Texture control, an array of VCA filtering and detection choices, parallel compression blending, and a high-pass filter to offer users a module that delivers unprecedented sonic control.
The module accepts line-level, microphone, or DI input signals for a variety of customizable input options. The input boasts a 10k ohm non-reactive input resistance capable of handling up to 26dBu without a pad. There’s also a primary gain control that adds up to 66dB of gain in 6dB increments, complete with a +/- 6dB trim. The module’s high-pass filter is continuously variable from 20 to 250Hz.
The Portico II’s EQ section is comprised of four bands and follows the mic preamp and hi-pass filter by default, preceding the compressor. However, this mode is customizable via the Post Comp switch. The module’s low shelf boasts an independent engage switch, Classic Peak/Shelf section with +/- 12dB room for adjustment, and selectable turnover frequencies ranging from 70 to 1.4kHz and 700Hz to 14kHz. The LMF and HMF bands are fully parametric and feature a joint engage switch for an additional +/- 12dB of adjustment, a continuously variable Q (0.7 - 5), and a continuously variable frequency range extending from 70 to 1.4kHz and 700Hz to 14kHz.
Portico II Channel Strip Features
- Texture control for fine tuning harmonic ratio and tone
- Post Comp moves the EQ after the compressor
- Multi-variable De-Esser can be used to soften harsh sibilance in voices and instruments
- Blend gives you a continuously variable control to mix compressed and uncompressed signals
- FF/FB changes the VCA detection from a forward feed design to a feed back design
- Super Fast overrides the attack setting, using a combination of peak and RMS detection set below 1ms
- Side Chain Send/Return
- External compressor side chain send and return on 2 x TRS jacks
- Dual 16-point peak meters display compressor gain reduction and output levels
- Highpass filter is continuously variable from 20-250Hz
- HPF to Side Chain Uses the HPF in the compressor side chain
- Gain provides 66dB in 6dB steps
- Trim: Continuous +/- 6dB level control
- All EQ In: Enables all EQ bands
- Comp In: Engages compressor section
- Phase Inverts
- Phantom power: Selectable 48V
- DI: Discrete FET input for hi-Z instruments
- Line input: Selectable +4 balanced input
- LF EQ: +/-15dB adjustment at 35, 60, 100, and 220 Hz, independent LF engage, selectable classic bell or accelerated shelf curves
- LMF EQ: +/-15dB adjustment from 70 to 1.4KHz, with a continuous "Q" from .7 to 5., engaged with the MF switch.
- HMF EQ: +/-15dB adjustment from 700Hz to 14KHz, with a continuous "Q" from .7 to 5., engaged with the MF switch.
- HF EQ: +/-15dB adjustment at 4.7, 6.8, 12, and 25kHz, independent HF engage, selectable classic bell or accelerated shelf curves
- Rackmountable, 2U