Radial EngineeringPreComp 500 Series Channel Strip
The PreComp is an excellent choice for recording, broadcast and post production suites where instant control over voice and instrument is desired.
The PreComp channel strip is a combination mic preamplifier and compressor made for the popular 500 series rack format and designed to bring greater efficiency to the recording process by simplifying the signal path and gain stage management.
The single wide module begins with a high performance preamp that can deliver in excess of 60dB to handle all types of microphones. Equipped with Radial's unique Accustate gain control, the PreComp simultaneously sets the output and sensitivity to maximize signal-to-noise at all levels. This is particularly important when recording in the digital domain where background noise can often be audible during quiet passages.
A full-feature VCA compressor follows with adjustable threshold, compression ratio and gain make-up controls. The advanced compression algorithm reads the program material and automatically transitions from soft-knee to hard knee as the signal rises above the threshold. A simple slow-fast switch makes it easy to set the PreComp for either vocals or percussion.
Once connected to a 500 series power rack, connections to and from the PreComp are automatically routed to the XLRs for balanced operation. When used with a Workhorse, connectivity increases with ¼" TRS connectors and D-Subs while the Omniport provides direct patching to the preamp or the compressor, enabling the engineer to use each processor separately.
Other features include 180° polarity reverse for phase matching two microphones, a high pass filter to eliminate unwanted resonance, 48V phantom power for condenser mics and an IN/OUT switch that lets you quickly compare the original uncompressed signal with the processed result.
PreComp 500 Series Channel Strip Features
- Combination preamp and compressor
- Accustate gain control for low noise
- Full function compressor for dynamic control
- Each processor may be accessed separately
- Preamp circuit type: Accustate input with true variable gain front end
- Compressor circuit type: Feed forward VCA compressor with true RMS sidechain
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz (-1.5dB @ 20Hz)
- Total harmonic distortion: <0.003%
- Dynamic range: 112dB
- Input impedance: 3.3kOhms
- Maximum input: +24dBu
- Maximum gain: 55dB
- Make up gain: Up to +25dB
- Output impedance: 300 Ohms
- Equivalent input noise: -120dBu
- Noise floor: -85dB @ +40dB of gain
- Intermodulation distortion: 0.03%
- Preamp controls: Gain, 180°, HPF, 48V Phantom
- Compressor controls: Threshold, Ratio, Gain, Speed, On
- LED Meter Below, at, and above threshold
- Omniport Function: Tip: Preamp output / Ring: Compressor input
- Power requirement: 56mA
- Format: 500 series module
- Size: Standard 500 series rack format
- Shipping Size (L x W x H) : 9 x 6.5 x 2 (inches)
- Weight: 1.5lbs (0.7Kg)
- Warranty: 3 Years, transferable
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov