Mutable InstrumentsGrids Topographic Drum Sequencer
- No Hassle
- Low Prices
Mutable Instruments Grids
Grids, from Mutable Instruments, is a complex topographic trigger sequencer for drum patterns. As opposed to most x0x style sequencers, Grids involves no actual programming in itself. Grids has machine learned thousands of different drum beats present in modern music and organized them into a map. As one moves through the map with the panel knobs, different rhythms emerge based off of its "location" in the map. Along with this is a "density" control, which decides how many of the hits actually happen, and how many hits are dropped. An internal clock can sweep from 40 to 240 BPM, but can be disabled by turning the tempo knob all the way down and plugging in a clock. There are CV inputs for every control, providing evolving and shifting grooves. There is even built in randomness if all ones modulation sources are being used for other things. The Accent outputs have different patterns than the Trigger outputs, and when combined into a drum voice with accent inputs, the results are extremely musical. All types of rhythms are accessible, from four on the floor beats, to strange shifting time signatures, all intuitively accessed on the front panel.
- Clock input.
- Internal clock with a 40 to 240 BPM range (internal clock is paused when the tempo is set below 40 BPM).
- Pattern reset trigger input.
- Beat indicator/tap tempo button.
- Latitude/Longitude knobs with CV input (range: 0 to 5V, protected).
- Randomness knob with CV input (range: 0 to 5V, protected).
- Pattern complexity/density knobs for channels 1, 2, 3 with CV inputs (range: 0 to 5V, protected).
- 5V trigger and accent outputs for channels 1, 2, 3.
- Secret 3-channel euclidean sequencer mode.
Settings / options
- Clock resolution: 24ppqn, 8ppqn, 4ppqn.
- The tap tempo button/beat LED can also be configured as a reset button/beginning of pattern LED.
- 3-channel euclidean sequencer mode.
- Alternative output layout with Clock/Reset outputs instead of Accent 2 and Accent 3.
- Trigger or Gate output mode.
Unlockable items for DIY heroes
- Bonus clock output!
- Bonus random gate output!
- MIDI interface responding to start/stop/clock messages!
- Eurorack Module
- 16 HP Width
- 5V voltage source needed (for example Mutable Instruments Volts).
- All inputs: 100k impedance, DC to 500 Hz.
- Clock resolution and MIDI processing latency: 100µs (Worst case jitter < 0.5% at 120 BPM).
- Open-source hardware and firmware.
- +12V: 0mA current draw
- -12V: 1mA current draw
- +5V: 25mA current draw