MOTU Monitor 8
The MOTU Monitor 8 is a tripartite product: it can be used as an interface, monitor mixer, and headphone amplifier. The unit boasts pristine audio quality, 24 input mixing, multi-channel computer audio, and several AVB audio network channels routed to eight stereo monitor groups.
Both main and auxiliary outputs ensure that the Monitor 8 can be connected to both primary and secondary speakers/monitors, while six additional independent monitor groups can be utilized for the connection of up to twelve headphones, six stage monitors, and four stereo in-ear monitors (which can be configured for routing to other stereo line-out destinations.
The Monitor 8 is also home to a powerful DSP that allows for console-style mixing with total of 48 channels, 12 stereo busses, and 32-bit floating point processing. In terms of effects, the unit features analog modeled EQ, compression, and reverb. There’s also a comprehensive routing grid for patching inputs to outputs, splitting inputs, or routing signals to multiple destinations.
If all this wasn't enough, the Monitor 8 can be used independently of a computer as a standalone mixer that can be controlled via iOS, tablet, and smartphone compatible web app. Additionally, users can connect another MOTU AVB interface with a standard Ethernet cable.
Monitor 8 Features
- Three products in one — 24 x 16 x 8 monitor mixer, 6-channel headphone amp and USB/AVB audio interface.
- Superb audio quality — Employs the same industry-recognized analog design as MOTU's groundbreaking 1248, 8M and 16A audio interfaces.
- 24 inputs and 8 stereo bus outputs — Mix 24 physical inputs, multi-channel computer audio, and 64 AVB audio network channels to eight stereo bus outputs (Main, Aux, and monitor groups A thru F). Inputs include 8 channels of balanced (TRS) analog and 16 channels (2 banks) of ADAT optical.
- Six monitor groups with flexible outputs — Each group provides multiple mirrored outputs, including 2x 1/4-inch phones (front and rear panel), summed 1/4-inch mono out for stage monitors, and, for groups A-D, balanced stereo 1/4-inch outs.
- Universal connectivity — Connects to a computer with standard AVB Ethernet or audio class compliant high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0 and iOS).
- Discovery app and web app software works alongside any host audio software.
- On-board 32-bit floating point DSP with large console style mixing and effects — Flexible 48-input digital mixer with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb with sends, plus modeled analog EQ and compression, gate, and reverb.
- System expansion — Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M, 16A, 24Ai or 24Ao) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately).
- AVB audio networking — Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (100 meters point to point). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
- Flexible matrix routing and splitting — Send any input to any output, or multiple outputs. Includes routing to and from the computer, plus any devices on the AVB network.
- Web app control — Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control — Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the Monitor 8 with a standard Ethernet cable and control the Monitor 8's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live show monitor mixing.