Behringer's RD-8 is a much-anticipated reinterpretation of the most iconic drum machine of all time. Re-live, recreate, and re-purpose the tones of Chicago acid house, the genesis of modern hip-hop, and the backbone of techno with this stunning adaptation of one of the most influential electronic instruments. If you want Bass Drum that thumps and snares that snap, the RD-8 is a stellar and affordable way to find them.
Offering the same intuitive sequencing style as its source of inspiration (complete with vintage-style buttons), the RD-8 provides a strikingly similar workflow to the original. Its 64-step sequencer is capable of polymeter, step repeat, real-time triggering, and countless other performance features: but its intuitive layout simultaneously makes it simple to lay out a driving, reliable rhythm in no time. Pattern mode and song mode provide access to extended sequencing potential, allowing for the creation of lengthy, evolving rhythms.
The internal FX bus provides a Wave Designer and dual-mode Analog Filter. The Wave Designer provide attack and sustain controls, applicable to individual voices for dynamic shaping of the core drum sounds. The switchable lowpass/highpass, 12dB filter provides access to all manner of sweeps and ringing resonances: and best of all, cutoff knob movement can be recorded to the sequencer, overdubbed, or step-edited for precise tonal sculpting.
All of this combined with 11 individual audio outputs, extensive connectivity options, parameter chaining, and more makes the RD-8 a true 21st-century rhythm machine worthy of the 808 legacy.
- Analog reimagining of a classic drum machine
- 16 drum sounds with extra parameters and global Accent
- Modern workflow built around classic sequencer style
- 64-step sequencer supports polymeter, step repeat, direct note triggering, note repeat, and track soloing/muting
- Per-voice assignment to integrated Wave Designer and dual-mode Analog Filter
- Liver recording of Analog Filter cutoff automation
- Stores up to 256 patterns and 16 songs, which may be imported/exported via USB
- Pattern mode and Song mode for extended compositional and performance possibilities
- Sync via USB, MIDI, or analog clock
- 11 independent, direct analog outputs for single voices
- Probability, Flam, and Random sequencing options available
- Vintage-style buttons for authentic look and feel
- Main outputs: Phones, Mono, Return
- MIDI: In/Out/Thru via 5-pin DIN, USB
- Individual voice outs: 11x 1/4"
- Trigger outs: 3x 1/4"
- Sync: In/Out via 3.5mm
The Behringer RD-8 provides the sound and workflow of one of the most iconic drum machines of all time—with additional features and a pricetag that makes it perfect for modern workflows. It updates this classic machine with an analog filter, wave designer, and advanced sequencer with performable beat repeat functions and more. In this video we also experiment processing the RD-8's kick drum direct output through the Boss Waza Craft Metal Zone MT-2W, adding a bit of edge and forcefulness to its already thunderous low end.
The MS-1 is a modern interpretation of yet another classic analog instrument: a monophonic synthesizer with integrated sequencer and a huge, rubbery sound. Here, we process the MS-1 through a Boss DM-2W Waza Craft Delay pedal for some extra space.