ManleySLAM! Stereo Limiter + Microphone Preamp
Providing a powerful starting point for your vocals and instruments or a dynamic processor down the line, the Manley SLAM! is a stereo mic pre and dual limiter packed with transformers, tubes, and tons of tech. The SLAM! starts with a fantastic mic preamp with a nominal +60dB range of gain as well as a phase invert or 100Hz high pass for cleaning out any low end. Of course SLAM! can also be fed line signals via the combo jack as well as Hi-Z signals through the 1/4" jack which neatly can fix its impedance to 100 kOhms or 10 megOhms depending on how far you put the jack into the DI input. The input control not only works for adding gain but more-so is used as a variable pad for controlling any signals coming in.
Once your signal is balanced for further processing, SLAM! then pushes it through Manley's classic electro-optical limiter circuit for that classic and fat LA-2A form of limiting. Unique to the ELOP limiter, you can dial in either a 100Hz or 200Hz high pass filter on the sidechain circuit, making it easier to stop the compressor from activating too early from rumbling low end. Before the next stage of limiting, you have an output control to add or subtract any extra level from your signal—great for using the bypass switch to level match your signal if you're only utilizing the limiting. The final stage of fast FET-based limiting presents a "brickwall" level cut-off with up to +20dB of gain to push your sound into tasteful FET clipping and really work those tubes. The FET limiter can customize both its attack and release times for fine-tuning to your transients and dynamics.
Manley's SLAM! can work in stereo or dual mono for a linked limiting effect or individual control for varied image, respectively, and switch it to the Both & Ext opts to link the stereo pair across multiple other SLAM! units. This linking can be achieved via TT connections found on the back, with additional insert points for each channel's ELOP and FET limiter for further processing outside the SLAM!. With VU and LED metering that provide a variety of views over levels, peak information, and gain reduction, the Manley SLAM! provides all you need to get your vocals, bass, synths, and more to a loud, polished, and professional level of quality.
- "Stereo Limiter and Micpre", or SLAM
- Two channels with both balanced combo XLR/TRS input as well as an unbalanced Instrument DI input
- Class A tube mic preamps with phase inversion, high pass filter, and switchable phantom power
- Mic preamp alone can reach up to +60dB of gain before limiting
- DI input has selectable impedance based on how far you push the 1/4" cable in:
- Half-way in: 10 megOhms
- Fully in: 100 kOhms
- Input control acts as a variable pad for louder input sources
- Features both Manley's famous ELOP levelling amp circuit as well as a fast FET based "brick wall" limiter
- SC three-way switch features a 100Hz and 200Hz high-pass filter options on the side chain circuit for the ELOP
- Three-way FET attack time switch (VF = 0.1ms, F = 1ms, M = 10ms)
- 11-position FET release parameter offers the slowest release around 2 seconds all the way to 10ms with an extra CLIP option for FET clipping
- Output control ranges -20dB to +20dB for final leveling after the ELOP limiter and before the FET limiter
- Three-way unit-control switch for stereo-linking, dual mono, or a Both & Ext option for linking across other SLAM!s
- Beautifully lit VU meters reading input, output, or gain reduction with extra VU reading padding of -3 or -6dB
- LED meters can display Peak information or gain reduction with an additional momentary position for resetting the Peak display
- Transformer balanced combo XLR/TRS output as well as transformerless unbalanced 1/4" output
- Bantam "TT" inserts for both channels' ELOP, FET limiter, and External linking
- Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7A NOS GE specially selected by Manley Labs for lo-noise and stable bias
- Output Tubes: 2 x 12BH7 (or 6414W NOS USA) dual triodes
- Mic Input Impedance: 2000Ω
- DI Input Impedance: 100 kOhms or 10 megOhms (1/4" jack out halfway)
- FET Limiter: Attack: approx. 100μS
- Release: 10mS to 2Sec
- Ratio: better than 20:1
- ELOP Limiter: Attack: approx. 10mS for 6dB GR
- Release: 2.5 Sec
- Ratio: 10:1
- Frequency Response: 5Hz to 60KHz
- Maximum Output: +32dBm, +30dBm (into 1KΩ load)
- THD+N: <.05% @ 1KHz
- Dynamic Range: 115dB typical
- Output Impedance: 200Ω
- Power Consumption Slam! Analog:
- 0.480 Amps (480 milliamps = 480mA) @ 120V = 57.6 Watts
- 0.240 Amps (240 milliamps = 240mA) @ 240V = 57.6 Watts
- Outboard Power Supply: factory set for 100V, 120V or 220-240VAC operation for original destination country's mains voltage.
- Operating Mains Voltage: changeable with power transformer re-wiring via switch and fuse value change.
- Mains Voltage Frequency: 50~ 60Hz
- Size: 19" X 12" X 3.5" (occupies 2u)
- Shipping Weight: 25 lbs.