Nord Electro 5D
The Nord Electro 5D is a powerful performance-oriented keyboard and a notable improvement from its predecessor. Unlike the original Electro 5, the 5D afford the ability to split and layer sounds, as well as a program section specifically geared towards live performance. Externally, the Electro 5D boasts a 61-note semi-weighted waterfall keyboard housed in a traditional Nord chassis. Internally, the keyboard contains a plethora of classic sounds, like organs, electric pianos, and clavinets—but it also affords users the ability to use their own custom samples or samples from Nord’s sample libraries.
The Electro 5D’s C2D B3 engine generates authentic organ sounds modeled from Farfisa, Vox, and Principal Pipe. There are also nine drawbars that provide simulations of 122 classic rotary speaker cabinets, and a mount for an optional switch that provides manual rotary speaker control.
In terms of effects, the 5D features a stereo delay complete with tap tempo and ping pong mode. Additionally, the delay can be used simultaneously alongside the reverb for stunning effects. There’s also a three-band EQ, auto-wah, phaser, flanger, chorus, amp simulator, and a compressor.
Electro 5D Features
- Bi-timbral sound generation: Use two sound engines simultaneously (Organ + Organ, Organ + Piano, Organ + Sample Synth or Piano + Sample Synth) set up as a layer or a split
- 6 Keyboard Split points (C3-F5)
- Set List mode: Group sets of up to four Programs into Songs, and organize these within a Set List
- 3 Live Slots
- MIDI Upper Split feature: Control the entire range of sound engine selected for Part Upper from an external MIDI keyboard, while utilizing the keyboard of the Nord Electro 5 for the selected sound of Part Lower
- MIDI features for individual control of Part Lower and Part Upper, and for controlling external sound modules from the upper part of a split
- 1 GB memory dedicated to the Nord Piano Library
- The Piano Section has 6 categories - Grand, Upright, EPiano 1 (tine), EPiano 2 (reed) Clavinet and Harpsichord.
- Each category can contain several different models.
- All pianos can be replaced using the Nord Sound Manager application
- Advanced String Resonance-control (Gen 2)
- Long Release
- 4 Dynamic Curves
- Stereo pianos and samples can be played back in mono
- 40-60 Voices polyphony for Piano Library sounds.
- 256 MB memory dedicated to the Nord Sample Library
- All samples can be replaced using the Nord Sound Manager application
- The Sample Synth section comes shipped with a selection of one hundred samples from the Nord Sample Library
- Attack and Decay/Release control
- Dynamics control (Filter/Velocity)
- 15 Voice polyphony for Sample Library sounds.
- User adjustable percussion levels, percussion decays and key click level
- Vibrato / Chorus Control with separate functionality for each model (the classic C1, C2, C3, V1, V2, V3 options for the B3, Vibrato for the Farfisa)
- 4 Tonewheel modes: select the level of "vintage" desired
- Mount for Half-Moon Switch on Electro 5D 61/73
- Nord Electro 5D 61/73: 9 physical drawbars
- Nord Electro 5 HP: Digital LED drawbars
- Pan, Tremolo, Wah and Ring Modulator
- Three selectable depths for the Pan and Tremolo, rate controlled with the Effect 1 Rate knob
- Tremolo, Pan, Ring-Mod and Wah can be controlled with Control Pedal
- Phaser 1, Phaser 2, Flanger, Chorus 1, Chorus 2 and Vibe
- Two selectable depths for each effect
- Amp Simulation
- Dedicated Reverb with five algorithms - Room, Stage Soft, Stage, Hall Soft, Hall and Dry/Wet control
- Dedicated Delay Effect - Rate, Amount, Tap-tempo and Stereo Ping Pong