KorgModwave Wavetable Keyboard Synthesizer
Proudly building upon the legacy of Korg's DW-8000 while adding modern features to make it comfortably stand on its own, the Modwave is a thoroughly modern approach to wavetable synthesis unlike any other. Like the Wavestate and the Opsix before it, Modwave takes a classic method of synthesis and turns it on its head, adding in new features like Kaoss Physics and Motion Sequencing 2.0 to deliver vivid sonic textures with constant evolution, and is presented in a compact, 37-key package that punches well above its weight.
Modwave offers no shortage of sounds right out of the box—over 200 wavetables loaded with 64 waveforms each already offers a staggering number of unique sounds. With two oscillators per voice, over 30 waveform Modifiers, 13 types of Morphing, waveform blending, and more, even the factory content should last any synthesist a lifetime. But should you somehow crave even more, the Modwave editor software supports the ability to load samples and custom wavetables in WaveEdit or Serum format, meaning that you can bring your go-to sounds anywhere that the Modwave can go.
Korg didn't just stop at the wavetable oscillators, though—after all, we aren't in 1985 anymore! Sub-oscillators and noise generators supplement the two wavetable oscillators, 12 stereo filters sculpt and shape sounds further, and a versatile web of modulation sources bring any program to life, including four envelope generators, five LFOs, key-tracking, and more. Then consider the 32-voice polyphony, onboard effects, and the ability to layer two programs at once, and the sonic capabilities of Modwave should be immediately clear. Overwhelmed by all the options? Use the randomization functionality to spark inspiration and give yourself a starting point to tweak and adjust to your needs.
Korg's Kaoss Pad is a legendary effects processor, but its presence on the Modwave is actually central to a wild, physics-based modulation engine that provides organic movement to any sound. Kaoss Physics simulates a ball on a virtual surface, and the X and Y positions of the ball, as well as its distance from the origin and relative angle to the X-axis, can be assigned as modulation sources just like any LFO or envelope generator. But applying parameters like Tilt and Friction will change the behavior of the virtual ball and space, and boundaries that apply padding or acceleration, hills or dips in the center of the surface, and more will impart incredibly dynamic gestures into your patches. And of course, most parameters of the Kaoss Physics engine are modulatable, defying the expectations of real-world physics in a way that's simply perfect for larger-than-life sounds.
As the next logical step from the Wave Sequencing 2.0 found on the Wavestate, Motion Sequencing 2.0 is a multi-lane sequencer that goes well beyond simply triggering notes. Four sets of Step Sequence lanes, as well as Timing, Pitch, and Shape are fully independent of each other in terms of loop points, order of steps, and probability. This allows for endlessly evolving sequences, with groupings of note and parameter values phasing around each other, and can be stacked with the two arpeggiators for the ultimate in generative event creation.
In our current era of synthesizers, there's no shortage of powerful sound generators out there, but what makes an instrument interesting is its approach to delivering and affecting those sounds. Modwave provides an abundance of compelling sounds and methods of modulation, making it the perfect fit for the most discerning synthesist seeking a truly unique and powerful instrument.
- Wavetable synthesizer with Korg's new Kaoss Physics and Motion Sequencing 2.0
- Joins the legacy of Korg's classic DW-8000 wavetable synthesizer
- 32 voices of polyphony
- Two wavetable oscillators per voice
- Select from over 200 wavetables with 64 waves each
- Built-in modifiers alter the raw character of the wavetables
- 13 morph types for realtime processing
- Supports user wavetables in Serum or WaveEdit formats
- Layer wavetables with built-in multi-gigabyte PCM library
- Suboscillator and noise source per voice
- Polysix, MS-20, and many more stereo filter models available
- Dedicated envelopes for Filter, Amp, Osc1, and Osc2
- Five LFOs
- Dual mod processors and two key-track generators
- Integrated effect processor with independent Pre FX, Mod FX, Delay, and Reverb
- Integrated arpeggiator for animating your playing
- Hugely flexible modulation and sequencing options
- Kaoss Physics pairs game physics with a classic Kaoss Pad style control surface
- Motion Sequencing 2.0 allows for multiple lanes of real-time parameter recording
- Knob-per function layout for immediate access to all important parameters
- Intelligent randomization features for adding variety to your sounds
- Dedicated editor/librarian software
- Set lists for building your ideal performance set, with smooth sound transitions
- Keyboard: 37 keys with velocity and release velocity
- Polyphony: 32 stereo voices
- Audio outputs: L/Mono & Right 1/4" balanced TRS
- Headphone output: 1x 1/4"
- Pedal: 1x 1/4" damper input
- MIDI: In & Out via 5-pin DIN, MIDI via USB-B
- Power: 12VDC external adapter (included)
- Dimensions: 565 x 338 x 93mm / 22.24 x 13.31 x 3.66"
- Weight: 2.9kg / 6.93lbs
The Modwave is Korg's newest keyboard synthesizer that takes a portion of DNA from the classic DW-8000 digital synthesizer.